The common cause of choppy voice in VoIP is insufficient bandwidth. This does not necessarily point to your internet service provider as the culprit; nor does it mean there’s too much traffic in your network. It could be that you have another bandwidth-eating application running. You might also be using the wrong compression code.
Remember that a two-way conversation eats up around 90 kbps for both upload and download. Test to confirm that your bandwidth usage is causing choppy voice in your VoIP service.
- Turn off all other computers connecting to your network.
- Test your bandwidth speed. There are several websites that offer this service free.
- Check your running applications for bandwidth usage.
- Test for malware and spyware. There are several free anti-malware software available online.
- Configure your router’s QoS to prioritize voice applications.